Friday, September 21, 2012

Meeting Recap

All in all I think the first meeting went pretty well! We had a turn out of about 25 people which is more than I expected so I am pretty pumped!  If you were not able to make it to the meeting here are some updates:

*There was a great idea suggested by a member to get a collaboration started with the art program here at USM to host a "Sustainable Art Event".  I think this is a fantastic idea!  What I'd like to do is get some of the art students to submit pieces of sustainable art to be presented in a gallery.  The Sustainability Advocates can host the gallery event and sell tickets to raise money for our group.  If anyone is already involved with the art program and can help us get started please let me know! And here is a fun idea for sustainable art that one of our members, Brandon Drescher, came across, could be a fun project for us to try out!


*There was also a suggestion last night to get a collaboration started with the Payne Center.  I think there is definitely some potential here! I think we can work together with them to perhaps get some of the new exercise equipment available that uses the energy generated by the person on the equipment to actually power the gym.  This will be a challenge, but even if we can only get one treadmill that would be awesome!  Here is an article from TIME magazine on "people powered gyms" you should check it out!

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2032281,00.html

*We also decided that thursday nights probably won't be the best nights for meetings since that is generally when project Rake and Ride takes place.  I will update soon on the new meeting days.

That's about all the updates I have for today.  Haley and I will be finishing up the grant proposal for the Rake and Ride this week and hopefully we can get some money!  Everyone keep brainstorming on some fundraising ideas.  I'm super stoked guys, I think this is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment